ESD 112 Special Education ESA
Meeting Special Needs
The ESD 112 Specialized Education ESA is unique in Washington State. This ESA provides a free and appropriate education to students that are eligible for special education services in 26 districts that have joined together to pool resources (i.e., staff, equipment, expertise, materials, etc.). The ESA serves districts’ children with disabilities and their families effectively and economically.
The ESA began furnishing itinerant services in 1972. With the addition of classroom services in 1984, ESD 112 became a serving district for participating resident districts in Southwest Washington and extended the ESA’s benefits. In 2003, the ESA began offering services outside of the Southwest Washington area.
The ESA hires highly qualified professionals and supervises all special education staff including teachers, paraeducators, coordinators, Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, and School Psychologists, as well as budgets and expends resources for eligible students in school districts participating as ESA members. The ESA provides special education and related services in a manner that is consistent with school district and building goals and provides focused knowledge and expertise in research-based, best practices in special education.
- Provides special education services consistent with building and/or district goals
- Hiring and supervising special education staff
- Identifying eligible students
- Budgeting and expending resources for schools in participating districts
- More flexible, effective and efficient use of staff and other resources
- All member districts, regardless of size or rural location, have equal access to all services
- It's a guarantee - all children receive services
- No single member takes the full cost of an expensive placement since all costs are shared
- Members receive administrative service without the addition of extra duties to a principal or hiring a special education administrator
- Legal and technical expertise available to members at any time