Regional Student Transportation
There are 5 regional transportation coordinators statewide that liaison between the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) and local school districts. The program is funded by the state legislature through a grant from OSPI. ESD 112 and ESD 113 are identified as Student Transportation Region 1 in the state of Washington.
Region 1 provides services to the 75 districts in ESD 112 and ESD 113.
Region 1 headquarters is housed at ESD 112 and works closely with the Student Transportation section at OSPI and other agencies.
Regional coordinators from each region participate in the following statewide functions:
- State Quote Specifications for school buses and state bid
- Liaison with Washington State Patrol on required school bus inspections
- Liaison with other state agencies on school bus related issues (i.e. Department of Ecology, Department of Transportation, Department of Licensing)
- Provide information regarding school bus driver qualifications and training requirements
- Development of guidance documents provided to school districts
- Attend regional chapter meetings of the Washington Association of Pupil Transportation (WAPT) and driver trainer groups to share state and federal regulatory updates, training updates, and participate in discussions regarding industry issues and best practices
- Provide unlimited technical support to school districts, at no charge, regarding transportation issues and challenges
- Upon request, provide detailed analysis of district transportation operations and recommendations for improvements
- Assist districts with data collection and reporting requirements for student transportation funding allocated to districts by the state
- Provide access to transportation video library containing training resources available for check out to school districts for school bus driver meetings