and Staff Expertise
Superintendent Tim Merlino
Tim Merlino is the Superintendent and Chief Executive Officer of Educational Service District 112. A seasoned veteran known as an experienced educational leader, he served as Chief Financial Officer for 28 years before being named superintendent in 2013. Since his appointment, ESD 112 has evolved into a $60 million+ enterprise, with significant growth in early learning, school construction, STEM initiatives and innovative student support programs. Under his leadership, the ESD now owns more than $22 million in facilities and 240,000 square feet of building space to house the growing programs and student services.
Currently, Merlino serves on the board of the State’s THRIVE Washington, an influential non-profit early learning organization. He is vice-chair of the Washington School Information Processing Cooperative which provides student data support to 280 school districts and nearly 730,000 students in more than 1,500 schools across the state, and also serves on the board of the SW Washington STEM Network and the WSUV Advisory Board, providing valuable K-12 perspective.
Merlino served on the statewide committee that developed the new Basic Education Funding formula (House Bill 2261) that is now being used to define the funding for the McCleary decision. He will continue to help shape the funding formula that will benefit SW Washington and districts throughout the state.
The ESD 112 team is made up of more than 600 professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. Staff members provide a wealth of experience in instruction; school construction; advanced training for teachers and other staff; business and finance management; technology; and administrative support services.
ESD 112 Cabinet
Learn more about the staff members who make up the superintendent's cabinet:
- Marnie Allen, Assistant Superintendent, Human Resources and Legal Services
- Loy Dale, Assistant Superintendent, School and Agency Operations
- Gavin Hottman, Assistant Superintendent, Chief Business Officer, Business and Financial Management
- Lori Oberheide, Assistant Superintendent, Communications and Public Engagement
- Mike Nerland, Assistant Superintendent, Teaching and Learning
Executive Directors, Teaching and Learning
- Mary Mertz, Executive Director, Special Services
- Jodi Wall, Executive Director, Early Care and Education
- Kathy Whitlock, Executive Director, Student & School Success