TPEP Regional Implementation Grant
Eight public school districts in Educational Service District 112 (ESD 112)—Camas, Castle Rock, Evergreen, Hockinson, Kelso, Ridgefield, Stevenson-Carson, and White Salmon—were selected to participate as a TPEP Regional Implementation Grant (RIG) districts for 2011-2012 & 2012-2013. The districts have worked to further explore and implement the state's new evaluation system.
All of the RIG I & RIG II teams will follow the same guidelines so that the new system can be implemented in all school districts by the 2013-2014 school year.
E2SSB 6696 requires OSPI, in collaboration with WEA, WASA, AWSP, and WSPTA, to improve principal and teacher evaluation by:
- Revising the evaluation criteria for both classroom teachers and principals;
- Creating a four-level rating systems;
- Requiring OSPI to create a pilot with school districts in the 2010-11 (development) and 2011-12 (pilot implementation) school years;
- All districts to adopt new systems in the 2013-14 school year;
- Increasing the length of the provisional status for new teachers; and
- Requiring school districts to send OSPI information on the current evaluation system for all employee groups beginning in 2010-2011 school year.
Nine pilot participants, eight districts and one consortium of districts, participated in the 2010/2011 Teacher/Principal Evaluation Pilot as a component of a broad education reform bill, Washington State Bill E2SSB 6696, passed by the Washington State Legislature in the 2010 session.
The results from the work of the pilots in the 2010-2011 school year, along with the recommendations from the Superintendent of Public Instruction can be found in the July, 2011 Report to the Legislature.