Driver Instructor Training Course
School Bus Driver Instructors are an essential part of the student transportation team in any district. Qualified applicants must successfully complete this two-week training course to become a Washington State authorized school bus driver instructor.
With time spent in the classroom and behind-the-wheel of a school bus, participants receive training in all aspects of school bus driver instructing including writing and presenting lesson plans, effective classroom instruction, reference point driving instruction, and the rules and regulations of the Washington State pupil transportation industry.
Participants must hold a Class A or B commercial driver’s license with passenger and school bus endorsement and air brake restriction removed, and also meet all minimum requirements for school bus drivers as prescribed in chapter 392-144 WAC. Applicants must also provide a school bus driver abstract of driving record. Participants in this course are required to have at least two years experience of driving school bus.
- Date: July 17-28, 2017
- Duration: Two-week course
- Location: ESD 112, 2500 NE 65th Avenue, Vancouver WA
- Cost: $1,130.00 – Course Only – Does not include lodging/meals
- Class Size Limit: 48
- REGISTRATION: Beginning 2017, registration for the Driver Instructor Training Course will follow a three-tiered approach in the following order of priority:
- Scholarships: Organizations providing full scholarships for the registration fee will have reserved spots for identified recipients that meet the criteria of the program.
- High Need: High need districts can apply for 1 of 25 spots on a first-come, first-served basis for identified individuals using the established criterion. Three criteria have been identified using district feedback to determine highest district need for driver instructor training. They are:
- No active or inactive Authorized Driver Trainer in the district
- Primary Driver is retiring or leaving the district
- An newly hired employee that requires he or she obtain a Driver Trainer authorization as a condition for employment
- Open Enrollment: Remaining spots will be available on a first-come, first-served basis for those applicants that meet the program criteria.
- Open registration opens March 15, 2017, 7:00PM, Pacific Time. Open Registration Request forms will be submitted electronically to email@example.com beginning at 7:00PM Pacific time.
- Applications will complete an Open Registration Request form
- Requests are to be submitted electronically beginning at 7:00PM on March 15.
- Applications will only be accepted starting on this date and time.
- Requests will be electronically time-stamped.
- When available spots are filled, those applicants will be notified and a Course Application Packet will be forwarded to them for completion. ESD 112 will facilitate the registration and course payment will be collected at this time. The Course Application Packet must be submitted by March 31.
- For more course information, e-mail Anna Esquibel, Regional Coordinator, ESD 189, or call 360.299.4008.
- For registration questions, contact Cherrie Williams, Regional Transportation Specialist, at 360.952.3641.