Driver Instructor Training Course
School Bus Driver Instructors are an essential part of the student transportation team in any district. Qualified applicants must successfully complete this two-week training course to become a Washington State authorized school bus driver instructor.
With time spent in the classroom and behind-the-wheel of a school bus, participants receive training in all aspects of school bus driver instructing including writing and presenting lesson plans, effective classroom instruction, reference point driving instruction, and the rules and regulations of the Washington State pupil transportation industry.
Participants must hold a Class A or B commercial driver’s license with passenger and school bus endorsement and air brake restriction removed, and also meet all minimum requirements for school bus drivers as prescribed in chapter 392-144 WAC. Applicants must also provide a school bus driver abstract of driving record. Participants in this course are required to have at least two years experience of driving school bus.
- Date: July 17-28, 2017
- Duration: Two-week course
- Location: ESD 112, 2500 NE 65th Avenue, Vancouver WA
- Cost: $1,130.00 – Course Only – Does not include lodging/meals
- Class Size Limit: 48
- REGISTRATION: Beginning 2017, registration for the Driver Instructor Training Course will follow a three-tiered approach in the following order of priority:
- Tier 1: Scholarships - Organizations providing full scholarships for the registration fee will have reserved spots for identified recipients that meet the criteria of the program.
- Tier 2: High Need - High need districts can apply for 1 of 25 spots on a first-come, first-served basis for identified individuals using the established criterion. Three criteria have been identified using district feedback to determine highest district need for driver instructor training. They are:
- No active or inactive Authorized Driver Trainer in the district
- Primary Driver is retiring or leaving the district
- An newly hired employee that requires he or she obtain a Driver Trainer authorization as a condition for employment
- Tier 3: Open Enrollment - The open enrollment process is conducted on a first-come, first-served basis for those applicants that meet the program criteria.
Open Enrollment Process:
- To obtain an Open Registration Request form, applicants must email a request to email@example.com beginning March 10.
- The Open Registration Request form is to be submitted electronically beginning at 7:00PM on March 15, Pacific Time.
- The Open Registration Request form will only be accepted starting on this date and time.
- Requests will be electronically time-stamped.
- According to the number of spots available, applicants will be notified as to their status of their request.
- Successful applicants will receive a Course Application Packet for completion.
- The Course Application Packet must be submitted by March 31.
- ESD 112 will facilitate the registration by processing the Course Application Packet and collecting registration payment.
For more course information, e-mail Anna Esquibel, Regional Coordinator, ESD 189, or call 360.299.4008.
For registration questions, contact Cherrie Williams, Regional Transportation Specialist, at 360.952.3641.