FAQ about ESD-U

Which school districts are involved?

The following districts are partnered with ESD-U:

  • Battle Ground
  • Camas
  • Castle Rock
  • ESD 112 ESA Specialized Student Services
  • Evergreen
  • Hockinson
  • Kalama
  • Kelso
  • La Center
  • Longview
  • Lyle
  • Naselle-Grays River Valley
  • Ridgefield
  • Skamania
  • Vancouver
  • Washougal
  • White Salmon Valley
  • Woodland

What certifications and endorsements are offered?

In the first year of the program, ESD-U will offer endorsements in ELL, SPED, and Reading. In future years, Elementary Education, Math, Science, Early Childhood Education, and Early Childhood SPED will also be offered.

What are the different routes to certification?

  • Route 2:  Employed classified instructional staff with baccalaureate degrees seeking certification with endorsements in a locally-determined shortage area.
  • Route 3:  Individuals with baccalaureate degrees seeking certification. Priority shall be given to those seeking endorsements in a locally-determined shortage area.
  • Route 4:  Individuals with baccalaureate degrees for whom the district will secure a conditional or emergency substitute and employ (as teacher of record if on a conditional certificate) while seeking certification with an endorsement.  
  • Retooling Pathway: Individuals who currently hold a Washington state teaching certificate and are employed as a teacher in a school district in Washington, and who are seeking an additional endorsement.

Are scholarships available?

When available, ESD-U will offer scholarships through the Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB). If scholarships are available through PESB for earning a residency certificate, limited slots can be applied for.

Retooling candidates can apply for the competitive Educator Retooling Conditional Scholarship through PESB if earning an endorsement in a shortage area. ESD-U currently offers two endorsements in shortage areas, ELL and SPED. See PESB website for selection preferences.

Will I earn clock hours for attending ESD-U courses?

Yes. For salary purposes, clock hours earned for ESD-U candidates who hold a Bachelor's degree will be counted. On the pay scale, 10 clock hours is equal to 1 college credit. Clock hours can be earned by candidates who already hold their residency certificate and those who are in the process of earning their residency certificate.

Will the SPED endorsement I earn through ESD-U be accepted in other states?

Endorsement transfers differ by state. Please see the regulations for the state you are wishing to teach in.

Related Pages

District Key Contacts

ESD 112 Contacts

Mike Esping, Director of Educator Effectiveness and Early Career Development
Chelsea Jacobson, Certificated Employment Manager
Alissa Jolly, Secretary II
Malena Goerl, Secretary II