About Connect 2 Careers
As young people work toward finishing their high school education and begin thinking about their future, many realize that they lack the skills employers desire. Without skills, youth remain stuck in low paying jobs with very little hope for advancement. Connect 2 Careers is designed to assist young people from Clark and Cowlitz Counties as they begin employment or complete their secondary or post-secondary education.
Connect 2 Careers Workforce Development Specialists work closely with youth to develop an individual plan, taking in account the youth's interests, skills and motivation. Most youth remain in the program for 9 to 18 months, gaining additional education through classes, academic support for secondary or post secondary education or training, and real world work experience. Further, the youth gains exposure to multiple careers, communities, businesses, opportunities for leadership development and gains a greater understanding of his/her skills and abilities.
To qualify, youth must be 16 to 24 years of age, a U.S. citizen or legally entitled to work in the U.S., and not currently attending school, plus any one or more of the following:
- A school dropout (individual who does not possess a high school diploma/GED)
- A recipient of a high school diploma/GED who is a low-income individual and is basic skills deficient or an English language learner
- An individual who is subject to the juvenile or adult justice system
- Pregnant or Parenting
- A homeless individual
- An individual in foster care or aged out of the foster care system
- An individual with a disability
To apply, see our application page for details »